Saturday 20 August 2011

My Parts List: The Power Supply

While I was waiting for the main kit to arrive in the post from the USA, I started looking for the other parts. Here is what I came up with for the Power Supply:

I decided to hack a spare 500W ATX PC Power Supply, using the instructions on the RepRap Wiki: http://reprap.org/wiki/PCPowerSupply

Here are all the bits (I already had most of them in my electronics box; the rest I picked up at my local JayCar shop http://www.jaycar.com.au/ ):

And here is the (almost) finished unit (still needs the optional DC power switch to be installed - I killed the original one trying to force it into a too-small hole!):
As a 500W supply, it will provide plenty of amps at 12V to power the RepRap, including a heated print-bed if / when I decide to install one. And because I have taken off -12V, -5V, Ground, 3.3V, 5V and 12V tappings to the binding posts, I will also be able to use it as a general purpose desk-top lab power supply for my other electronics projects.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    This product provided plenty of amps at 12V to power the RepRap. Thank you for sharing your useful tips.

    DC Regulated Power Supply

    ReplyDelete